Governing bodies will find these key documents valuable sources of information.
- The Right People Around the Table – how to recruit new governors and trustees
- Welcome to Governance – an induction guide for both LA maintained schools and academies
- Welcome to a Multi Academy Trust – an induction guide for new MAT Trustees
- The Chair’s Handbook, a guide for chairs and aspiring chairs
- Twenty-one Questions for Multi academy Trusts – Key questions a MAT board should ask itself published by NGA and the All Party Group on Education Governance and Leadership
- Guidance on the crucial role of the chair, developed jointly with NGA and available on the NCTL website
- Skills audit and matrix for boards, structured around the core functions of the board to help them identify skills and knowledge they need to deliver their functions effectively
- A Framework for Governance, which provides guidance on how governing boards can evaluate their own practice, set the strategic direction for their school and monitor progress
- NGA’s Model Code of Conduct, which helps boards draft their own code of conduct, one which sets out the purpose of the board and describes the appropriate relationship between individuals, the whole board and the leadership team of the school.
- Governance Handbook and Competency Framework (for advice on roles, duties, size and membership of governing bodies)
The Wellcome Trust, in partnership with the National Governors’ Association, has developed a new free resource to help secondary school governing bodies understand and improve science and maths in their school. The resource is currently being piloted, and any governors interested in taking part should visit www.questionsforgovernors.co.uk or email email@example.com for more information.