Great Trustees helping to grow great Academy Trusts
Academy Trusts, and particularly large or changing multi-academy trusts (MATs), need strong corporate governance. The strongest MATs have brought in new independent board members with corporate and business experience, but some trusts struggle to find the high-calibre trustees they need.
How does the New Schools Network’s Academy Ambassadors help?
Academy Ambassadors is a group of business people who are also leaders in education who can help recruit trustees. Academy Ambassadors mainly recruits new Trustees to Multi-Academy Boards but also places business people as academy sponsors, free school proposers and Trustees of single Academy Trusts.
What type of people can Academy Ambassadors bring to your Trust?
We recruit a range of individuals from a wide range of industries – from large financial employers, like KPMG and HSBC, to legal firms, to businesses large and small, entrepreneurial and leading figures of their industry. The sort of skills they bring include the ability to provide:
- strategic advice on how the trust is run overall, including agreeing strategies for business growth or consolidation
- specific expertise in turning round performance at organisations with financial or performance problems
- challenge the Chief Executive, Financial Director and others to ensure that education standards in schools rise quickly and that academy groups are efficiently run, delivering maximum value for money.
They typically dedicate 4-6 hours per month. Some may become Trust Chair, others Chair of Finance, other Trustee without portfolio.
How do I get involved and what happens next?
- Contact academyambassadors@newschoolsnetwork or 020 7952 8475.
- The Academy Ambassadors Team will gather information on your Trust to help find the right person.
- We may be able to provide some suggested contacts straightaway or we can launch recruitment to meet the brief.
- After an introductory phone call, you meet the individual at the Trust and decide if the match could work. The Trusts conducts its own interview/vetting process and formal appointments are usually made at the next Board meeting.
- Your Trust joins the Academy Ambassadors alumni and are invited to meet other Academy Ambassadors and join our events.
Academy Ambassadors at the New Schools Network mainly recruits new Trustees to Multi-Academy Boards but also places business people as academy sponsors, free school proposers and Trustees of single Academy Trusts.